Community. Now, More Than Ever.

I have a lot of thoughts swirling around my brain this morning.

Let me preface by saying I have come down with a cold, so last night I took some Nyquil and thankfully slept through pretty much everything. I do recall Best Guy coming in at one point, sitting on my side of the bed and saying "He took Florida and Ohio. Ohio!" But honestly, it's a bit of a blur.

My Facebook feed has been interesting. It is full of fear and anger, from all sides. There are voices, however, coming through loud and clear that say "what is the next step?"

Those are the voices I'm longing to hear.

Those are the voices that are saying "Ok, here's what we've got to work with. What can we do?"

They are saying "We see and hear what has been said in anger and fear. People have asked for a change catalyst, and they've gotten it. What can we do to ensure that this change benefits us as a Nation?"

I keep coming back to the idea of Community. Now, more than ever, it is such an important construct. Coming together for a common goal. Coming together to support, nurture, stand for, and grow.

I also believe that this is the time where many of us, who have been working on the small scale of bringing about change will now have to stand and be counted. We will have to stand to protect our friends and family who may well see their civil rights stripped away. Those of us with societal privelege (straight, white, male) will need to stand up and stand with. Quiet voices will no longer be heard. Subtlety is not something that will be recognized. Bold, empowered, blunt... that is what will get the job done.

The next four years have the unique opportunity to bring about massive, positive societal change (although to be fair I don't think it will happen like the majority of voters thought it would). Over the next few years, odds are good many populations currently relying on government systems to help them survive will be left (some literally) in the cold. It is time for the communities to step up and step in and prove that we still give a shit.

How will I Stand? I have no idea. In the immediate, the most I can do is be there for my friends who are literally scared for their lives right now. I can hold in my heart those whom I don't agree yet are still loving, caring human beings who want nothing more than the world to be a better place. Because, yes, both of these can inhabit the same place at the same time.

We are ALL human beings, trying to make our way in this world. It is time to move forward. In peace, in love, in strength.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Beck