The Pendulum Ever Swings

A couple weeks ago, I was driving up to the Wellness Center for a shift. It's a long drive (half of the longness is just me trying to get out of my city), but the interstate part of it is gorgeous. I was tooling along, mostly paying attention but also doing that thing you do when you have a long drive on a road you know extremely well. Which is to say, mentally redecorating the house, having philosophical breakthroughs and generally solving all of the world's problems.

Anyhoo... I'm toodling along mostly paying attention when I saw that ubiquitous road-side sight: an animal that didn't quite make the journey across. You see a lot of that, especially in Vermont with its vast green spaces. It's never a fun sight to see but you do get used to it. I almost always say a little "safe travel, little one" as I speed on my way.

This time, though, was different. It was either a large fox or cyote that had been there for a while. Something about the way it lay - with its poor legs up in the air - just reminded me of Toby.

I haven't eaten any meat since.

This is not the first time I have stopped eating meat since, well, becoming an omnivore again. For the last few years, I've been on this pendulum that swings from "all meat all the time" to "I could live without cheese."

That last one doesn't usually last more than a day. Because, really, who would want to live without cheese if you doesn't have to?

Anyway. Let's just say the other day I was the only veggie burger in a sea of regular burgers at a restaurant - one where I've eaten the regular burger and know for a fact it's awesome - and I was not even tempted. And with summer's bounty upon us, vegetation is so easy and tasty to come by. It's not a hardship at all.

How long will this last? Who knows. I doubt it's permanent. I'm usually only one bad day away from a pepperoni pizza at any time. And if someone put a nice salmon dinner in front of me, I would totally do right by it. Well, the fish might disagree on that, but...

So, I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts. And when the pendulum swings back in the other direction, I'll enjoy that as well. I learned a long time ago I do best when I don't make rules around food. None of it is right, none of it is wrong. It's all good.

Nom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck