Fear, Risk, and Moving Forward

It has been a long road with lots of conversation, but last week I finally invested 100% in myself. I gave notice at my Spa job.

This past year has been a long one full of professional frustration, confusion, and struggle. It has helped me redefine what I am looking for and what I need out of my career, something I had not previously put too much thought in.

I had always assumed that I would work for others. Heck, it was my default setting. I'd been doing it since I graduated college. Because that's what you were supposed to do. You graduate high school, go to college, get a job, pay into your 401k for 35 years and then retire.

My first inkling that there could be something more than a 9-5 (which, honestly is more 8-7 these days) was when I became a Massage Therapist. But even then, the work-at-one-place, earn a paycheck model was still firmly attached to my brain. There was no other way to make a living. Sure, other people went out on their own. But I can't do that. It's far too risky for someone in my situation.

Well, guess what? All of those excuses I used have officially dissipated. I've taken the leap, I've done the paperwork. I've rented the space. I'm all good to go.

All I need are clients.

Here's the - ha ha - rub. It is one thing to set things up so you can go it on your own, but if you keep the full time job "until you get on your feet", you'll never find that traction. Because that other full time job with its paycheck and if your lucky benefits will demand all of your professional time and attention. It is paying for your energy and it will use up every last ounce of it. And if you have a family and other obligations, they will demand what little free time and energy you have left. That leaves nothing left for your own thing. No time left to go out and find any clients. So, you have this great thing that no one will ever know about.

There's no risk in that. None at all.

Great strides forward, great progress, requires risk. You've got to be willing to put everything on the line for what you want. Greatness demands Sacrifice.

This last year has helped me define and shape what I want to offer the world. It has helped me see work that I needed to do and ways of thinking that needed changing.

Will this journey be easy? Heck no. Will I be scared shitless? Heck yes. But this choice will finally give me the freedom of practicing exactly how I want to practice, it will allow me to finally pick up all of the self-care practices that have fallen by the wayside over the last six years either due to cost or exhaustion, and it will allow me to live my life on my terms.

I am grateful for this opportunity, and I plan to make the most out of it.

Onward and upward.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck