Countdown to Christmas. Which We're Doing on Boxing Day because I have to Work on Christmas.

So, we've got 10 days or so until the "big day". We are hosting Christmas this year, and I think Best Guy is getting a kick out of having a Christmas tree in the house. We bought a few new ornaments this year so BG is represented on the tree and it isn't all just my childhood ornaments. Also, I managed to find this little gem:
For Buddy
Also also, I found these:

Because crackers are a long-standing Hannukah tradition. 

Also also also, I made this:

It is a vegetarian tourtiere. A tourtiere is a French-Canadian meat pie.
So, technically I've created a monster. A yummy, yummy monster.
I may or may not be having too much fun trying to integrate other traditions. Instead of mashed potatoes this year, we will be having latkes, complete with sour cream and applesauce. My sister-out-law has had some serious dietary troubles this past year and is now following basically a Paleo diet without nightshades. So, we've got a vegetarian and a tomato/potato-free paleo. Both ends of the spectrum there...

I feel kind of bad for her, because most of what we're making is going to make her insides rebel. She's totally willing to ease up on her diet for a day because you have to live, but she'll suffer the consequences the next day. There will be a few items that are friendly to her belly though. If she goes for the sour cream cookies, well, that's on her.

Anyway, I'm slowly cooking my way through the things that can be made ahead of time. I'm planning on making a turkey breast instead of a whole bird, but I'm having issues finding one large enough that isn't a frankenturkey. I may end up making two different kinds of roast beast. That has been the only thing I haven't really figured out yet.

In the meantime, I'm mostly finished my shopping with the exception of a stocking stuffer or two. I also had to explain how stockings are supposed to work to BG, who thought they were just there for decorative purposes. We had been hoping to follow his tradition of Chinese food on Christmas (which while on the 25th, will be Christmas "Eve" for us since we're celebrating on Boxing Day instead.), but we're pretty sure the place we order from is closed that day.

I have been having a lot of fun working my way toward this celebration in my new home, with my new family. Every day this house feels more and more like our own, and creating our own memories in this place will solidify our belonging. I am so grateful for all that I have been blessed with.

Love.




Comments

MarieGray said…
the most important thing is that you're doing it all with someone you love. :D

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck