Striking Out on my Own... Genius or Folly?

I have been in a weird place lately, professionally. I have been struggling to feel like I fit in at my new place, which is completely on me. On paper, I should be thrilled to have this job. The people are very nice and have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable there, the pay is pretty good for the industry, and the commute is easy and relatively short. I can see myself succeeding here.

And yet.

Best Guy and I have been having conversations about this, and at some point I came out and said "I think the reality is that it didn't matter what my next job was, I wasn't going to like it."

I loved my last place. I've never made any secret about that. But, it was time and I needed to move on. I think sometimes when you are so attached to something and a replacement becomes necessary, by default we almost always dislike the next thing that comes along. It can't possibly compete, no matter how good or great or awesome it is, because it isn't the last thing we had.

All my self-inflicted frustrations have led me to start considering something I never previously considered an option: striking out on my own.

Owning my own business terrifies me for multiple reasons. The most important reason being I am not a particularly good business person. All of the administrative, financial, and marketing things that go along with owning your own livelihood confound me, anger me, and frankly bore me. If my business model could be "I'll set up my table in my spare room and you just give me $60 in cash after the treatment" then I'd have been up and running years ago. But that kind of entrepreneurialship is pretty frowned upon these days.

So, I'm in the early stages of reviewing my options. I am seriously considering writing up a business plan. That way, I'll have a plan in place if I do decide to pursue that option and if I decide not to at least I'll have done the research and answered my own questions.

I have been getting messages lately saying that I need to get out of my own way. Which is always good advice. But I struggle with which thing I'm holding myself back on. Massage? Yoga? Writing? Dancing? All of these? Something else entirely?

I guess on the plus side, at least I have options...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck