...but which is Right for Me?

For the last few months, I have been struggling on and off with the idea of going back to vegetarianism. Best Guy is a long-term vegetarian. I cook that way at home and out of respect for him try not to bring meats into the house. He knows and accepts that I eat meat and often when we go out I'm ordering the non-veggie burger.

A woman after my own heart.
But... it sits in the back of my mind.

I always enjoyed eating vegetarian. I felt cleaner, lighter. I felt like there was more variety in my cooking. And of course, there are the myriad of health, environmental and moral benefits that come along with eliminating meat from your diet.

However, for me there is a dark side to it as well. That in going back to being an omnivore, I have failed in my moral obligation to be compassionate to all animals. My eating meat is a direct contribution to farming practices that are ruining the environment. And let's not forget about the negative health impacts of too many animal products on my fragile heart.

So, what? I should go back to being a vegetarian out of guilt? Because otherwise I'm a failure? I kinda think that's doing it for the wrong reasons.

I liked being a vegetarian. I like eating meat. I didn't like how vegetarianism devolved into a perfectionist failure spiral/verging on eating disorder for me. I don't like how I feel like a failure for wanting pepperoni on my pizza.

I've somehow managed to work myself into a corner where I simply can't win.

There is nothing wrong with being vegetarian at home and indulging when eating out. Even being a part-time veggie has its benefits, morally, environmentally, health-wise. Maybe I stop worrying quite so much about the labels and focus instead on healthy foods: veggies, fruits, whole grains, and proteins.

Because life is far too short to feel like a failure all the damned time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck