Compassion: It's Not Just for Everyone Else

I have (finally) scheduled a vacation in April. As per my usual habit, I have waited too long to schedule any kind of break for myself and am now in the awkward position of having to care despite having a difficult time of seeing beyond my own burnout.

Whatever it was, it happened at some point about two weeks ago.

I have yet to figure out why I continue this habit.

It is at this point where I am doing my best to retain my compassion for my clients. This may be the one massage they are able to afford a year. Maybe they are going through major stresses or life changes. Maybe they're in pain.

They deserve compassion. They deserve the best I can offer. They deserve peace: of mind, body or soul.

I also need to remember, however, that I deserve my own compassion too. Knowing that I've waited too long to pick up the self-care habit and that I'm feeling burnt out, I need to do what I can to support myself for the next few weeks. Whatever I can do to let go and ground, I need to do. If that means spending the morning before work in bed reading, then do it. Ahem. If that means a yoga class then go. If that means a Dollhouse marathon on Netflix one night because I can barely think from the exhaustion, then that's what I'll do.

And maybe my next order of business will be to figure out why I feel so guilty about taking time off to nurture myself....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force