Gratitude

Today I did an employee massage. Meaning, instead of making a commission that goes into my weekly paycheck, I got paid directly in cash, which goes directly in my pocket.

Booyah!

That doesn't much help my electric bill, but it did mean I was able to go to the grocery store and stock up. For $40, I bought:

  • One package organic extra-firm tofu
  • One bunch organic rainbow chard
  • 1 lb bag of organic carrots
  • 10oz bag regular celery hearts (couldn't find a price for the organic version)
  • a huge spanish onion
  • 8 oz regular mushrooms
  • bunch of regular bananas
  • 10oz bag of frozen organic broccoli
  • bag of dried lentils
  • bag of dried kidney beans
  • bag of dried pinto beans
  • vacuum pack of almond milk
  • box of cereal for Best Guy
  • regular rotisserie chicken
  • 2 organic lemons
I did my best to buy things that weren't one-use items and things that had a lot of nutrition in them, especially since I'm trying very hard not to come down with anything. Hence the lemons (I've been drinking my Magic Elixir for two weeks straight now). 

The onion will last a while since it's HUGE, and the best part about the chicken is I take it off the bone and then use the skin and bones to make broth. I've got that going in the crock pot right now. I'll just leave it to simmer overnight and in the morning I'll divvy it up in my muffin tins and freeze them. That way I'll have little flavor/protein bombs to add to soups and rice while I'm making the most of the slow time. That's in addition to the meat that will last me for several days and can be used in a multitude of ways.

I'm not generally a big fan of dried beans. Sure they're cheap but I feel like I can cook them for days and still not get them as well done as the canned variety. But, like I said, they're cheap. I feel like I have enough protein now to be able to live well off soups and curries and suchness. 

The leftover money is going to pay for next week's dance class and some spending money for this weekend when Best Guy and I head to southern New Hampshire for a gig he's playing. Oh, did I not mention Best Guy is a rock god? Yeah... he's mine ladies. Hands off.

In the meantime, I continue to be grateful for the work I am getting. :-) Keep it coming!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck