Sometimes There is No Going Back

This past week has been an extremely lean week for me financially. Next week will be much better (thank you, Universe!!!) but when I went grocery shopping on Monday I found myself in a bit of a quandry. Most of my pantry has been depleted at this point and there was no way I could afford to buy organic. I would also have virtually no time to make myself healthy meals. I'm pulling a 6-day week this week and I have been fully booked for all of my shifts. NOT COMPLAINING! It's just that when you're getting home at 8p or later after a full shift of massages, cooking is just not on the plate. Hell, standing is not on the plate.

So I did something I haven't done in years. I went to the conventional freezer section and got some Healthy Choice frozen meals that were on a twofer sale.

Sigh.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and when you're at the terrible place of no money and no time you have to make allowances for yourself.

There was a time many, many years ago when I lived off Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines. It is how I actually lost 30 pounds. I started weaning myself off them when I went vegetarian and I discovered that most of them had some kind of animal flavoring added. That's when I really started cooking for myself.

When I started learning about conventional vs. organic I cut out the conventional frozen dinners altogether and switched to Amy's, which has better ingredients and a much better flavor. Even then, it was an occasional treat for those days I didn't feel like standing at the stove. I was also making literally double what I do now and could afford to spend $5 or more a meal.

So I had the Healthy Choice meals to fall back on this week, and I was very thankful for the ease they allowed me after a long day. The taste however, not so much. It turns out what used to be a defacto meal for me is now one of the least appetizing things I can eat.

I guess it's a good thing to learn.

Other people's monkey bread counts as a very appetizing thing to eat.

It's definitely time for me to re-stock the pantry with quick and easy meal items that are much healthier for me. There are plenty of cheap and healthy protein items I can stock for emergencies such as this, and rice and pasta are easily found in bulk sections. Perhaps it is also time to take a Sunday and make myself a bunch of homemade frozen dinners. That way I can guarantee the quality and keep the prices low.

Because I really don't want to have to eat that shit again. Blech.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force