Tell Your Internal Hans Christian Andersen to STFU

We all have stories. There are the stories we tell ourselves out of entertainment (oh god, please don't tell me I'm the only one who does that) and then there are the stories we tell ourselves that we don't realize are stories. Those are the ones that linger long after usefulness.

  • "I walk like a duck because I took ballet during my formative years."
  • "I'm shy. I've always felt uncomfortable around people."
  • "I can't do that."
  • "I'm scared of _______."
  • "I've always believed __________."
  • "We never did it that way because _________."
  • "People don't like me."
  • "I'm not attractive."
  • "I'm weird and people get freaked out by my sense of humor."
You know, the stories. The things we tell ourselves must be true, because at one point in our lives either someone told us it must be so or else it was actually true. 

Is it, really?

Can you still not do that? Why? Can you still not do that thing because you keep telling yourself you can't? Do you still believe X because your Mamma told you she believed in X and you never thought about it any further? What if you actually *can* do that thing, and frankly you're pretty good at it? And what if, once you give it 5 minutes thought, you find you really believe Y instead? 

And where the hell did you get the idea that you aren't attractive? Because whoever told you that was lying. And if you told yourself that, why are you talking to yourself that way? You're beautiful. You're a Hot Ticket. Don't let anyone (even yourself) tell you any different.

Yes, I have externally rotated feet due to taking ballet at a very young age. So what? The only time I ever felt I had to bring that chestnut out was in yoga because they were all the time telling me to bring my feet parallel. I was convinced they wouldn't do that. But you know what? They do. I'm retraining my muscles and this story is just an old one I would pull out so I wouldn't have to change.

Change is good. You should try it some time. 

What stories are you telling yourself that are no longer relevant in the harsh light of now? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck