A Change of Identities

A right of passage for nearly every belly dancer (pro or amateur) is to come up with the perfect dance name. I came up with mine - Kasia - four years ago. I hemmed and hawed between several different names (Katya being an early front-runner until I discovered a Boston-based performer using the same name) before settling on that. Which, if you get right down to it is a different version of my every-day name.

Some dancers - especially the pros - go by their given name, and it would be perfectly acceptable for me to do the same. I've got to admit though, there is something about having a whole different persona that is enticing. Even if the only time she makes an appearance is on the stage. I mean, if Beyonce can have Sasha Fierce, why can't I?

I've been feeling for a while now that while Kasia is perfectly acceptable, it doesn't really fit me much dance-wise anymore. I mean, It's just me, slightly different. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, if you want to go deep it says a whole lot.

But who hasn't dreamt up an exotic name for themselves in their deep dark heart? That name that signifies all those things you'd do, all those things you'd say, if only.

So, I'm currently in the process of "auditioning" new names. I haven't settled on one yet, so until I do I'm going to continue to dance under Kasia. But here are a few front-runners, in no particular order:

  1. Meret: Egyptian goddess of dance, song and rejoicing
  2. Jade: I've been using variations of Jade online for nearly 20 years now. Who's to argue?
  3. Ajna: means "to perceive" and is also the name of the 3rd eye chakra
  4. Thelxinoe: means "mind charming", and she is either a greek siren or muse, depending on which source you are reading.
  5. Anu: Irish goddess of magic, moon, air, and prosperity
  6. Olwen: Welsh goddess of springtime and rebirth
Does she look like a Thelxinoe to you? 
There are others, but these are the main front-runners. I keep coming back to Thelxinoe and Olwen. Time will tell, I guess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force