Earning my Hippie Badge

A few weeks ago I ran out of hair conditioner. Which, if you are an owner of curly hair (especially naturally curly hair; especially especially long curly hair) you know that this is a BFD. No conditioner means good luck getting a comb through your hair. It means walking around in buns and hats and braids and pretty much anything to cover the extraordinary amount of frizz going on around your head.

A few days before, I had come across a recipe for homemade conditioner on Pinterest. I figured I'd get the ingredients, mainly because there were only three and two of them I needed to pick up anyway. Since everything was edible, I figured if this was a flop I'd just make a curry with the leftovers and no harm no foul. I purposely bought ingredients I'd eat because, well, if I'm going to have a lot of honey left over I'm not going to eat crappy honey. 
Recipe: 1 can coconut milk, 1 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp olive oil

I've used the "conditioner" three times now, and with the exception of an unfortunate incident of over-conditioning (I know, I didn't think that could happen either) I've really liked the results. In fact, for the first couple days after I use this I don't need to put any additional product in my hair to tame the frizzies. Which, if you are an owner of curly hair, just sent you in to shock because that does. not. happen. EVER.
There is no product at all in my hair... and it's defined curly and not frizzy! What what???
I still can't get over at how smooth the curls are. My hair felt so soft, which is also a curly hair rarity.
My hair loves this stuff, and I am an official convert. I still have store-bought shampoo, but my next mission is to find a shampoo recipe to compliment this conditioner. 

If you are thinking of trying this conditioner out for yourself, a few notes:
  1. I'm guessing people with thick hair and lots of it, or those who have lots of curls/waves will benefit the most from this conditioner as it coats the hair with a fine layer of olive oil, which weighs down the individual strands (preventing frizz) and helps define the curls/waves. If your hair is the kind that needs to be washed every day to prevent oil build-up and is very fine, this conditioner will be too heavy for your needs. 
  2. I keep it in the fridge and bring it in to use when I wash my hair (every 3-5 days, depending on life). 
  3. It takes some guessing to figure out how much to use without over-doing it. DO NOT just pour it out of the jar over your head. Ahem. I found that out the limp, greasy, unattractive way. Luckily a simple shampoo fixed the issue. 
  4.  I have mine in a mason jar but I'm hoping to buy a pump bottle for the next time. It is a very thin mixture, and you should shake it before use because the oil tends to globulate a little. 
  5. I find it best to let it sit for a couple minutes on my hair before rinsing it out. I wouldn't recommend applying it and not rinsing it out, mainly due to #2. Although, my hair tends to the fine side so if you have very thick hair it might work for you.
Let me know if you decide to try it, and how it works for you! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck