Sunday, Sunny Sunday

It is in the 40's in Vermont today. Everything is melting the crazy melt, and the longer days (ie, the sun goes down at 5:30 now) in combination with above freezing temperatures makes a girl believe Spring is on the way.

Ha. Ha ha.

Still, with blue skies and sun and even the occasional chirp of the bird, it gives hope that the deep freeze  will eventually give way to green hills and rainbow flowers once more. Even if I have to wait three more months to experience it.

Once upon a time, there were colors in the world other than brown, gray and white...

This morning I got up bright and early to meet some of my yoga teacher training classmates and a couple others for a yoga class. Which I taught. Not only was it my first class with more than one person in it, it was my first attempt at 90 minutes. I think technically I fell like five minutes short, but my watch said I was pretty much dead on so we'll go with that. As Stephen King likes to say in the Dark Tower series... close enough for government work.

As I was driving home from our get-together (there was coffee, food, and conversation after), I started to think about attachments to outcomes. The general wisdom in yoga is that action without attachment brings equanimity. If we can transcend what we think the outcome should be as well as what the outcome actually is (because let's face it, it seldom works out the way we want) and simply accept and move on, we remove attachment and therefore suffering.

All this basically came from the notion that it is far easier to let go of something we dislike (a bad day at work, a dating fail, an argument with a family member) than it is to let go of something we like (someone compliments us on our outfit, that cute guy smiling at you, someone complimenting you on the yoga class you just taught. Ahem). In the end, both the negative and the positive feed the ego, and it is that pesky ego that so often gets us into trouble.

So today, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to practice yoga and converse with some dear friends I don't get the opportunity to see very often. I am grateful that everyone found something useful in the class I taught. But mostly, I am just thankful and grateful for... everything.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck