Now vs. Then

Things I love about my second career as a massage therapist/yoga teacher/energy worker/all around woo-woo professional:
  • I am helping people
  • I work half the hours
  • As an eternal student, there is always more to learn about the physical/energetic body
  • The people I've met, both colleagues and clients
  • My workplace is inherently relaxing, both for the clients and me
  • I never do the same thing twice in a day
  • There is always room for growth

Things I didn't know I'd miss about having a 9 to 5 job until I stopped having one:
  • Paid vacations
  • Not having to stand all day
  • Being able to go to the bathroom whenever you want and having an actual lunch break 
  • Paychecks that are the same amount every time you get one
  • Everyone is done from work at approximately the same time every evening and everyone's weekend is Saturday and Sunday, so it makes things easier to have a life outside of work.
  • Workplace-sponsored health insurance
  • Workplace-sponsored retirement fund

I am exactly where I need to be at this moment in life, and I am eternally thankful and grateful that I had the opportunity and support needed to change my career. I think, however, that sometimes it can be easy to vilify what used to be in order to make what is that much more... shiny. The truth of the matter is, what I had before wasn't all bad (even Hell Job had its positives, let's be honest). 

I am happy where I am now, professionally. I work very hard at it, but I don't regret my decision. Not for one moment.

However, I will always miss paid vacations. I tell you, you don't know how fabulous they are until you don't have them any more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force