Compassionate Truth

So, it's been a little while since I've posted anything. The two weeks containing Christmas and New Year's are super busy weeks at work, and that's essentially all I've been doing. I came home this past weekend and pretty much collapsed into a pile of goo. I could actually use one more day to recuperate, but instead I've picked up an extended shift today to cover for someone with a sick child. So y'know, not off to a great start with my New Year's goal of focusing less on work on more on my personal life. But luckily there's a whole year ahead of me.

If you've been reading (hi, all 8 of you!) you know that I've been working my way through this book:
Product Details
Follow the link if'n you want the book. And it's a good book, so you should follow the link.


I spent some extra time with the final Ahimsa exercise, as it seemed like something I really needed. I finally feel like I can move forward now, but I am planning on "bringing" that along for the ride. 30-muffle muffle- years of self-indoctrination do not disappear after just 3 weeks of telling yourself you're okay as you are. Would that it did!

The second yama is Satya, or truthfulness. It is not simply just always telling the truth. It is living honestly. It was very interesting how this chapter made a distinction between being "nice" and being "real". It seems to be the thing to do lately in certain spiritual circles to dump on the word "nice". Somewhere along the way nice has become a dirty word, and people rejoice in telling you - esp. if you consider yourself nice - how nice is such a passive aggressive, spiritually inferior thing to be, and then sit there with a smug smile on their face daring you to comment on the fact they just insulted you, because you're the one with the problem and they're just telling it like it is. You deal with it.

Ahem.  Moving on.

All that being said, I liked how she explained the difference as it resonated me. Another of my goals this year is to always speak my truth. Because if you do it correctly - ie, with compassion - you save everyone, including yourself, a lot of time and hassle. And I could think of a recent example where I chose being nice over being real (you can read all about it here), and it would have made everyone's life a lot easier if I had chosen "real".

This week's exercise is pretty simple: notice when you are being nice and when you are being real. What are the results? How does it make you feel? From whom do you seek approval, and does this change whether you are nice or real?

I think this will be an interesting week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force