God Never Gives You Anything You Can't Handle...

... so I guess God wants to see how much more I can handle before I crack and end up blubbering in the corner?

I'm sitting at home minding my own business, looking forward to a concert I'm going to tonight (Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Ravi Shankar, sitar player extraordinaire), when my landlord knocks on my door.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news," he says. And I'm like oh jeez what now? "But did you know that the cords in your tires are showing?"

"What?" I said. I didn't know tires had cords in them. So I can't see how this is a good thing. We go out and he shows me. There is some really bad wear on the rear tires and indeed there is a cord showing.

"This could blow on you at any minute," he says. "You need to get new tires ASAP."

I'm in my car ALL the time. I drive 40 minutes to work every day, 40 minutes home every night. Sometimes late, always in the dark these days. Usually on the interstate. I could have gotten into a major accident. Like an I-don't-have-health-insurance-how-am-I-going-to-pay-for-all-this accident.

Gulp.

So now, I'm trying frantically to get an appointment tomorrow morning before work to get some winter tires put on. I'm waiting for my usual service people to call me back, but if they don't soon I'm calling Tire Warehouse because I know they have an appointment available tomorrow morning. Also, I'm trying to see if my friend can come pick me up for the concert because I think making too many trips on these tires is a very, very bad idea. In fact, I'm pretty much terrified to drive my car.

I tell you, I am soooo ordering alcohol with my dinner tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck