Giving Thanks.

We have snow on Thanksgiving. In my living memory, I don't ever recall this happening. I know "back in the day" it was usual - hence the elementary school music class favorite Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go. And now you all have that ear worm. You're welcome.

Under different circumstances, I'd be all put-out and worried because I'm driving up to my brother's later today for dinner. Will the roads be driveable? Why's it so cold? I hate the cold. I hate the snow! Harumph urgle burgle pthppth.

I'm trying something different this week. While I was in yoga teacher training, I bought this book for some supplementary reading. I went through it and loved it. I recently got it back out and started re-reading it. Each chapter is based on a different yama/niyama and if you like you can spend a month with each, following the exercises at the end of each chapter.

I've decided to do it and see what happens. Right now I'm on Ahimsa (nonviolence), and the exercise for this week is "this week practice courage by doing one thing daily that you wouldn't normally do." I kinda went back and forth about this one thing and then I decided, I'll just be positive for the day. I don't do that very often. I'll be positive and I'll let things go that don't have anything to do with me.

I'm on Day Three of this now, and it's making a difference. I am a control freak. I know this. I often apologize for this. If spending a week in positivity means I can let it be, then so much the better. Nonviolence: compassion for others and yourself.

So, to bring it around back to the title of this post (and the fact that it's Thanksgiving), today I am thankful for:
1. A car that seems to be good in the snow and brand spanking-new winter tires
2. A roof over my head and walls (with insulation) surrounding me
3. A working heater
4. Warm clothes
5. Good, healthy food
6. A family unit that has always been loving and supporting
7. Dear friends that have become family
8. The ability to follow dreams and continue learning and growing

Whether you are celebrating thanksgiving with family, friends, coworkers, or your pets, I hope you well and happy and healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck