Good-bye Betty. Hello, Veronica

Yesterday I got up early and hauled my butt in to the car dealership to get my car inspected and my oil changed. I needed to be there for 8am and it takes 20 minutes to get there, so I filled myself with coffee and planned on eating breakfast when I got home. Then maybe taking a nap. I knew that I'd be looking at some money to get it fixed, but I was figured it wouldn't be so bad.

It was $1,500 bad.

The entire exhaust system (save the actual muffler) was rotted out beyond repair. There was a major steering wheel issue. They told me if they could save the muffler they would, but that was only if they could actually get it unattached from the rest of it, which was trashed.

So I needed to make a decision. By the end of the month. Which, at the time, was two days away.

Initially my brother was pretty adamant that I take the car elsewhere as their price markup was considerable. But I was still looking at a good $800 to get it fixed, minimum. If that had been the whole story, I probably would have listened to him. But there were other things. Some small, some not. My big secret with Betty was that she was having problems shifting from gear to gear, and that sometimes it got pretty bad. It had been going on for a while now, but I chose to ignore it because I simply didn't want to deal with it.

Even if I chose to spend $800 to $1,500 to get the car fixed now, odds were good that in six to nine months I'd be in the same dilemma, deciding whether it was worth it to get the transmission fixed.

Trashed transmission... the indicator that it's time for a new car.

In the end, I decided to save myself six to nine months of stress (over a Vermont winter no less) and buy a new car. Well, new to me. I was completely unprepared; I didn't have my check book, I didn't know how much I had in my savings account, I didn't have the title to Betty. But when you say you want to buy something, car dealerships generally make it pretty easy for you.

After spending 6.5 hours in the dealership and having consumed only three cups of coffee and a box of junior mints the entire day, I left with Veronica. And immediately went to work. My brother helped me to get an okay deal on the car. I probably could have gotten a better deal but I didn't feel like holding out to get the bargain. I was happy with what I got.

I've gotta give props to my brother... he was at work and helping me via text and phone call while I was buying the car. I still think he thinks I made a bad choice, and I should have put it off a couple days at least so I wasn't rushing into anything. He's probably right at that, but I just wanted it to be over.

So yeah... I have a newish car. That was not the day I thought I'd have yesterday, that's for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force