Guilt v. Necessity

Have you ever felt guilty for taking a day off work just to recharge your batteries?

No? Just me?

I have always felt that way. Planning a week's vacation? Fine. But taking a random day off ? The pinnacle of guilt. I feel like I'm letting people down, that I'm not taking care of my responsibilities.

Which is absolute bullshit.

Oddly, this crazy work ethic has transferred to my yoga teacher training. I'm trying desperately to fit in my yoga classes by the end of the training, and I'm struggling. I was going to try and make a 9am class this morning and it never happened. I felt guilty about it. I felt like I wasn't keeping up my end of the bargain, that I was just making excuses for not going, and that yoga is about sacrifice and I wasn't taking this seriously.

Again, I say, bullshit.

The truth is, that Wednesday 9am class simply does not work for me. Yoga is not about sacrifice, it is about acceptance and compassion, for yourself and others. Yoga can bring up all kinds of emotions that should be dealt with, but if it becomes the cause of your anger and frustration then it is time to re-examine your motives. Yoga is Peace. Love. Joy. It is not spending two hours on a Wednesday morning grumbling and being in a bad mood and forcing yourself into asana simply because you think it is required. That is the last thing Yoga will require of you.

So, yeah. I decided to go outside and take a walk in the joyful beauty of a summer morning in Vermont. That, my friends, is Yoga.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force