Strawberries!

Yes, Vermont is a solid month (at least) behind everyone else when it comes to strawberries. But the local ones are ripe, delicious and ready for picking. I met up with my friend Susan and her 4-year old birthday boy Brady for some strawberry shenanigans:
Yeah, you're jealous. You know it.
... and there's just me eating all these. I know what you're thinking: "How's that a problem?" Normally it wouldn't be, but that's a lot of berries for one person to get through before they go bad. So, I've frozen about a third of them - you know that trick about freezing them on a cookie tray, right? They're all still individual berries and not mushed or stuck together. That way if you only need a little for a smoothie or something, you can take out just two or three whole berries.

I made a third into strawberry shortcake (served with vanilla ice cream instead of whipped because it's like 90 out) and I'm drying out the last third. Why would you turn the oven on when it's 90 you ask? Because I'm insane, yo. It's only on 210 degrees, but I left the berries whole so it's taking a lot longer than it should. Live and learn! Hopefully I'll have pics for you tomorrow.

In other plant based news:
Who's a cute li'l scape?
Right? This is a garlic clove that sprouted in my pantry. I figured, I have dirt, why not? This pic was actually taken a couple days ago and it's even larger now. Even if I don't get a head of garlic out of it, I'll get some nice garlic scapes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck