Yoga Teacher Training Month 2

This past weekend was our second yoga teacher training weekend. We ended up canceling the Friday evening class because we were all wimps about driving in through the storm. Yeah, we got nothing compared to the rest of New England, but it was still nasty enough that most of us didn't want to risk it. So we'll be making up those lost two hours over the course of the next several classes.

I think I've said before that these weekends are like retreats for me. Retreats that are easy to get to and I can sleep in my own bed every night. It is so wonderful being in a room full of like-minded people. With everyone sharing the same goal: immersing ourselves in Yoga so that we might share it with others. It's pretty nifty.

We got into Yoga Philosophy a bit yesterday. Part of the practice of yoga is yamas  and niyamas. Yamas are things you should not do to others, niyamas are things you should do for yourself. An example of a yama is not stealing, an example of niyama is connecting with your higher power. One of our homework assignments is to pick a yama or niyama and try to practice it for the next month. Not to say we shouldn't practice all of them, but pick one and really explore it.

The yama I chose (almost immediately as they were giving out the assignment) is Ahimsa, non-violence. I think I've talked about Ahimsa here and there over the years. Anyway. Ever since Whole30 I've been pretty exclusively vegetarian, and with this assignment I think I want to keep it up for the rest of the month. I have found eating like this again to be very fulfilling and comforting.

Ahimsa can be so many different interpretations of non-violence, and if I'm not careful I could drive myself nuts with this. But I think my overall goals will be to eat vegetarian and much as possible, and to just generally be nice to others and give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, we're all on this impossible journey together. We're all just trying to do the best we can with what we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force