Whole30 Day 10

1/3 of the way through, y'all.

By the way, if you're still reading while I post about this, thanks. I'm sure this is of little interest to the three of you who regularly visit my blog. But I appreciate it.

I belong to a Whole30 facebook group and there has been some discussion on why potatoes are not included on the program. The short of it is, they are considered a neutral food by the powers that be. Not bad for you, but there is no real nutritional value so you are better off filling your plate with other things. First of all, I would like to dispel the myth that there is no nutritional value in a potato. I'm getting my info here:

Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Vitamin A
29.9
IU
1%
Vitamin C
28.7
mg
48%
Vitamin D
~
 
~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
0.1
mg
1%
Vitamin K
6.0
mcg
7%
Thiamin
0.2
mg
13%
Riboflavin
0.1
mg
8%
Niacin
4.2
mg
21%
Vitamin B6
0.9
mg
46%
Folate
83.7
mcg
21%
Vitamin B12
0.0
mcg
0%
Pantothenic Acid
1.1
mg
11%
Choline
44.2
mg
 
Betaine
0.6
mg
 


Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2#ixzz2JTYaXBIS



Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calcium
44.8
mg
4%
Iron
3.2
mg
18%
Magnesium
83.7
mg
21%
Phosphorus
209
mg
21%
Potassium
1600
mg
46%
Sodium
29.9
mg
1%
Zinc
1.1
mg
7%
Copper
0.4
mg
18%
Manganese
0.7
mg
33%
Selenium
1.2
mcg
2%
Fluoride
~
 


Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2#ixzz2JTYkApy1


These amounts are for a large potato, steamed with skin, no salt. What potatoes do have is a large amount of carbohydrates, which is the real reason they are demonized in the low-carb world. But they are not bad for you. Just sayin'. As you can probably tell I love me my taters. And hoo-doggy do I miss them.

Here are some food shots:

The Beef and Beet stew. It is way redder than this in real life. I needed to add WAY less beet, but it's pretty good.

A super-simple dinner from the other night. I wasn't feeling much like eating, but I needed something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck