On Being Strong.

Keep Strong and Carry On.

Keep a stiff upper lip.

Let it go.

All things for a reason.

Something better is coming right around the corner.

All of these are ways of saying "you'll be okay. Just keep going and you'll be okay." But you know what? Sometimes, you don't WANT to be strong. You don't want to keep going. Sometimes all you want to do is lay in bed all day doing nothing, thinking of nothing, experiencing nothing. Because sometimes it is all just too much.

Don't get me wrong, strength is a good thing. Lord knows this life is hard enough as it is; you gotta have a backbone if you're going to get through it. But I think sometimes when we say "stay strong" to someone it doesn't come off as "you'll be okay," it comes off as "just get over it already." It is asking the person to ignore all the emotions and feelings right beneath the surface. Because lord knows our society is not particularly good with dealing emotions. Especially ones that make us uncomfortable. Especially uncomfortable emotions that other people seem to need to express, sometimes long after we think they should be over it.

I know I have an inherent strength that keeps me going. The women in my family are strong, and we persevere. I have had to take care of myself for the majority of my life; there is no one else here so if I need something I have to know how to take care of that need. I am strong. But sometimes I get so frakking sick of being strong.

Even I can get kicked down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck