Yoga

Yesterday, I took my first yoga class after nine months. WOW. It was a good class. For the first time in I don't know how long, my hamstrings got a good stretch. I mean, I've always been a little more bendy than normal, but I was getting deeper into positions than I ever have before. Even King Pigeon Pose - one of my nemeses because my IT bands are too tight to make it comfortable - was doable yesterday.
Courtesy of Yoga Journal. 

Granted, I don't look anything like this when I do the pose (my IT band just won't let my leg do that) but still!

I was really nervous that I would be unable to move today, but I'm not that sore. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a little soreness there, but I think if I keep moving today I'll "walk it off". Which just inspires me to do more yoga.

If I am serious about starting the teacher training next year, I'm going to need to get in shape, yogically. That means I need to recommit to weekly classes again, and develop a more formal practice here at home. When I first started yoga, I went every Saturday morning; it was simply part of my routine. I need to do that again. Not every Saturday necessarily; that no longer works for me. But I have the time, and the money is not so bad that I can't afford $13 a week for self-care. Which is really what this is. I have been terrible about self-care and I need to be more diligent about that.

I think finding my yoga practice again will help with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beck

The World Keeps Spinning, Regardless of What We Do

Princess Leia, One with the Force