What I'm Currently Working On

HP_216_SalambaSirsasana_248
Courtesy of Yoga Journal. You can go here to see the full entry and learn how to do this yourself.


It's called "Salamba Sirsasana" or supported headstand. It's supported because you link your fingers together and create a support for your head. Some of the benefits of this pose include:
  • relief of stress and mild depression
  • strengthens the arms, legs and spine
  • strengthens the lungs (something I need as I have the lung capacity of a turnip)
  • improves digestion
  • therapeutic for asthma, infertility, insomnia and sinusitis
For the longest time, I've had an aversion to inversions. I'm not sure why that is. While everyone else in class (okay, I admit it has been six months since my last class. Don't judge me) is up against the wall or on their mats doing headstands, I'm the one doing a modified child's pose because it is the only inversion that does not give me distress.

I've long told myself that I would not be ready to take a yoga teacher training course until I could do a headstand in the middle of the room without killing myself. It is only a semi-arbitrary "rule". There are some schools who use that as a general indication that you have the ability to follow through with the rigorous training process. Personally, I think it is a good benchmark, which is why I adopted it. And, quite possibly, why I've been "working" on it for four years now. By working on it, I of course mean not doing anything about it.

Until now.

For the last couple weeks or so, I've been taking a few minutes every evening and turning myself upside down. With varying degrees of success. But tonight was a real success. I held the headstand for maybe 30 seconds without breaking and without using the wall as support. I was upside down, on my own. And it was spectacular.

I am on my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck