Joy/No Joy

I went hunting all hither and yon yesterday and could find no cute wedges. Well, that's not quite true. I found loads of cute wedges but none of them fit me.

To assuage my bitter shoe disappointment I went into a tiny little health food store that I've been meaning to explore ever since I moved to the area. It's actually not in my area but an area near my area... you follow right?

Okay, no one could follow that. Let's just say I found a new health food store to explore and leave it at that.

While I had no joy with the shoes, while I was in the store I did find an absolutely beautiful bunch of asparagus and it had to be mine.

Hello, my name is Kate and I can easily trade a shoe fetish for a nice bunch of asparagus.

Anyway, it was still in the 80's yesterday and I was craving potato salad, and yet I had this lovely bunch of asparagus. What to do? This!

I take horrible food photos.
Sooooo delish! I can't claim originality on this recipe because it's a combination of a couple different things. But here is what I did in case you want to recreate it. Well sort of. With the exception of the vinaigrette, the amounts are guesswork. I really just threw things in the pot and hoped for the best.

Potato, Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
1 pound (ish) potatoes (I used 1.5 Idaho spuds)
1/2 cup onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch asparagus, rough end trimmed and cut into quarters. Ish.
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half if they are a little larger
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup chicken broth or water
1/2 tbsp mustard
1.5 tsp dried tarragon, or 1 tbsp fresh
dash salt
dash pepper
1/8 cup olive oil

1. Wash and chop potatoes. I don't peel mine but you can if you want. Boil as you would for mashed potatoes, only don't mash them. In fact, don't boil them to mush because you want them to hold together (you'll notice from the pic I cooked mine a little too long). Once cooked, drain and let cool to room temperature. Or be lazy like me and stick them in the freezer until cooled. But not frozen!

2. Rinse out the same pot, then drizzle lightly with olive oil (I actually use a spritzer). Toss in the onions and garlic and saute until translucent.

3. Toss in the asparagus with the onions and cook until crisp tender. Then remove from heat and let come to room temp. You can keep them right in the pot if you wish, as they'll come down to temp fairly quickly.

4. To make the vinaigrette, combine the lemon juice, broth/water, mustard, tarragon, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl and whisk until combined. One note: the amounts I used to make this are actually halved from the original recipe I snitched them from. If you're looking at your amount of salad and thinking it won't be enough, use 1/4 cup of lemon juice, broth/water and olive oil, 1 full tbsp mustard, 1 tbsp dried tarragon (3 fresh), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.

5. Take the now-room temp potatoes and add them to the other veggies, giving them a quick toss. Then pour the vinaigrette over top and give it another quick toss. If you're getting all fancy-like, put them in a pretty serving bowl. Or eat them straight from the pot. I won't judge.

This can be served room temperature or cold. Heck if you wanted to serve this as a warm salad it would probably taste delish too! Just keep everything warmer than I did.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Abounds

Project 251: Boldly Going to Nowheresville, VT

UK Honeyswoon