Betty Needs an Operation

Have I told you my car's name is Betty?

She's in bad shape, our Betty. I've been having problems on and off with her for about a month now, but they always seemed to fix themselves so I didn't worry too much about it. Betty's old after all (9 years), and we all tend to have our idiosyncrasies as we age.

Well, as I was coming home from Old Work Sunday afternoon, Betty nearly konked out on me in the middle of a busy intersection. Scared the ever-loving CRAP out of me, let me tell you. I set the alarm for early Monday morning and started calling around to see if any mechanics could fit me in before work yesterday. I was working under the assumption that it was either a misfiring spark plug or a clogged filter.

Someone was kind enough to fit me in yesterday (someone within walking distance, no less!). It turns out he thinks it's the coil, which can cause symptoms similar to what I've been experiencing. Unfortunately, he couldn't fix it yesterday, and I made an appointment for Thursday morning. I asked him if it was okay to drive, and he said yes and no. Short distances would probably be okay, but every time I use it, I'm running the risk of gas getting into the converter. Which would go from a $250 fix to WAY, WAY more.

I was able to get the car to Old Work and back last night. I was hoping I'd be able to get to the new job and back today, but I went to start the car this morning to let it run (it seemed to do better the longer it ran), the check engine light came on after a minute. In this case, that's a bad indicator. If it starts flashing I'm pretty much frakked. So I turned the car off immediately.

So, long story long, I am pretty much stuck here for the next two days. I've called New Work and they've found someone to cover my shift this evening and are taking me off the schedule tomorrow. I am so lucky that they're understanding, especially considering I just started working there last week. I feel awful. I was honestly looking forward to going into work this week.

Betty is going to spend the next couple days just sitting in the parking lot, resting and taking it easy. My Reiki teacher recommended dosing her liberally with the stuff, which I am planning on doing for the next couple days. Sounds hokey I know. But hey, it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

So, it turns out I have another "found" few days off. Too bad this time I can only do things within walking distance. There's not much to do here within walking distance. Good thing I have cable...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck