Lent

Apparently today Lent starts. Did you know that? I didn't know that. Heck, I was unaware that yesterday was Mardi Gras until halfway through the day.

That's what happens when you spend your days locked in a dark room.

One of my friends on Facebook is going to follow a diet for Lent. Which I think is a wonderful idea. It got me thinking about what I should do for Lent. I'm not Catholic - not really anything for that matter - but I like the idea of sacrificing something for several days.

My first thought was "I'm going to give up all processed foods", but then I realized that I drink soy milk, have ground coffee, store-bought bread and pasta sauce. Most of which would go bad if I left them half-eaten for 40 days. Which I think would be the antithesis of Lent. Waste is not Holy. It says so in the Bible. Somewhere. I'm sure.

So, I think for the next 40 days I'm going to give up junk food and as much processed food as I can. Which, considering we had a chips n' dip lapse Sunday evening would not be a bad thing. So, all junk food. No french fries, no chips, certainly no dip, no chocolate, no candy (which I don't eat much of anyway), no cookies... nothing.

I'll finish up the 1/4 loaf of store-bought white italian bread that's not in the freezer, and then no more for the next 40 days. Yogurt and the soy milk will be okay. Ground coffee will be okay. The sugar in my coffee is okay as I use turbinado and I don't feel guilty. But no added sugar to anything else. The pasta sauce - since it's open - is okay. The pasta is not, even though it's whole wheat. The pepperoni is not okay. I haven't decided about cheese yet. Maybe block cheese only?

I dunno. I've only been awake for 40 minutes. Give me a break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck