Two Things That Have Absolutely Nothing to do with Each Other

1. My back is feeling better even though it still hurts. It is no longer a random deep ache over my entire low back. It's gotten to be a pretty specific discomfort on just my right side. So I'm considering it an improvement. I was able to actually get relatively comfortable last night and got a decent night's sleep. Yay! I've suspected from the beginning that I either pulled my Psoas or Quadratus Lumborum, but now that the general pain has gone away, I'm almost positive I pulled my Psoas:
<i>Psoas major and psoas minor</i>
Click here to visit the site from which I borrow this image.


I'm feeling it down into my legs in the front, and I'm getting residual pulling down my iliotibial band and piriformis muscles, which makes sense because the psoas is pretty much pulling everything that those two muscles attach to (ie, my humerus) out of whack.

Fun!

See... the nice thing about being a massage therapist is you can look at all the fun books and see EXACTLY what you can't do much about except gentle stretching and simply giving it the time to heal. I probably shouldn't have had that deep massage while it was still in the acute state, but honestly I do think it helped some. Those muscles were already super tight before this happened so there was some relief. And the super-tightness was probably one of the reasons this was able to happen in the first place.

2. I'm thinking about starting a container garden this year. I have a lovely porch out front that is all mine and it gets some nice morning sun:


It is well-protected from the elements, and the perfect space for something like this. I'm running into two problems at the moment. The first is that I have no idea how to go about doing it. Which is easily fixed. Hellooo.... internet! The second is that I'm not very good about keeping plants alive. I can manage my christmas cacti because, helloooo... cactus. But it seems like the perfect opportunity to maybe see if I can grow some of my own tomatoes, peppers, or even peas. 


In the past, I've been in a too-urban community and I worried that what success I might have would be ruined by bored youths who can't stand to see nice things. But I'm far enough off the beaten path now where I really wouldn't have to worry about that.

So I may be looking into that this spring. It would be nice to grow some of my own vegetables. It's really the most cost-effective way to consume them in the quantity I do. Granted I wouldn't get a lot from a few containers, but it would be a nice way to augment my meals in between farmer's market visits in the summer. For which, by the way, I am super excited. The farmer's market in my new town is held Friday afternoons (my day off!), and is within an easy walking distance. I cannot wait to start patronizing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck