Book I'm Reading

I wanted to let you all know what I've been working on/reading lately. Hopefully I'll get around to posting a review to this book, but right now I'm only doing a chapter a day so it might be a while.

A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever

I got in Border's going-out-of-business book sale for like $5, but it looks like Amazon has it fairly cheap, and even free if you have a Kindle or want to download it electronically. There is also a supporting website that you can browse here if you like.

I wanted to let you all know about this book now instead of when I finished it, just in case there was anyone out there who is struggling to lose weight that just will not budge, no matter what you try. There may be some underlying issues you need to deal with first.

Personally, I am using the book to help bring my relationship with food back into the "healthy" status. I'm still having issues with bingeing (although big bags of chips are now forbidden in my apartment) and so far this book has really opened up my eyes to a few things. 

If you are struggling with a food addiction, or life trauma that has resulted in a serious weight gain, I highly recommend you try this book. In fact, she assumes to some extent that many of her readers are dealing with old traumas, including but not limited to abuse or other serious events that often cause one to gain weight in order to "protect" themselves from future abuse.

I know for me, some of the lessons don't match up exactly with what I am going through, so I have to tweak them a little to match my personal needs. But I am feeling a difference. It's slow work, but I feel like it's making a difference.

One note, this book often refers to the Divine Mind as part of its spirituality. While it does not push a Christian ethic, it does assume that God is your Divine power. If that is with whom you prefer to talk, then great! However, if that is not the case, it is a simple matter of mentally substituting your Higher Power of choice when she does mention Him. I am doing so (substituting The Lady for God), and am finding it just as powerful and effective. I think the bottom line is, if it is going to work for you, it really doesn't matter if you are surrendering your sorrows to the Great Spaghetti Monster. Just do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck