I'm Falling Apart

Okay, so not really. But it feels like that sometimes.

Last month I got into a big "discussion" about whether or not I have hypothyroidism. Apparently my posts saying that "I'm tired" on Facebook have convinced my aunt that I am. That and the fact that she developed it. So, with those two "symptoms" (and only those two), she is convinced that I have it and that I am in denial.

Now, I know I need to keep an eye out for it as it does run in the family (my mom developed it when she was my age), but there is a definite difference between "oh, boy I've had a long day" or "I didn't get much sleep last night" tired and "oh, hey look my body's shutting down because my thyroid is no longer manufacturing the hormones I need to live" tired.

Subtle, but important difference.

And then... I went to the Doc's on Tuesday for... y'know. The, ahem, annual exam. Turns out I'm slightly anemic. Apparently the lowest iron levels they like is "12" and I'm "11.3". Which could explain for the tiredness, actually.

Well, the fact that I'm burned out and haven't had a vacation in over a year could explain the tiredness, but we'll move on.

I'm really not particularly anemic. It was also that time of the month and everyone knows you can't trust an iron count when that's happening. Still, when I was a little girl I did get anemic so that again is something to watch out for. So now I'm spending this week eating iron-rich foods. I made ginger bread muffins yesterday because dark molasses is an excellent source of iron. Also plenty of spinach, chickpeas, and broccoli. Before you know I'll have over-done it and be weighed down by the amount of iron in me.

Just call me Old Iron-insides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck