Awash in Water

Today is a beautiful, sunny day. Considering how few of these we've had this spring, it's a real treat. I decided to take a walk along the bike path near my home. I walked fairly far; far enough to really get a good look at some of the devastation from the recent flooding. Recent is not the right word. Current is more correct. The water has gone down some, but it is still insanely high. I wish I'd brought my camera with me. Let's see if I can find some pictures...

God bless Google!
Picture courtesy of www.mychamplain.net
The bridge pictured is a pedestrian/bike bridge that goes over the mouth of the Winooski River. Only as you can see by this image, the river has overstretched its boundaries considerably. I actually walked over this bridge today and while the water has gone down a little, for the most part it still looks like this. Only it was sunny today and there wasn't so much of a color change in the water.


This image courtesy of www.huffingtonpost.com
I walked by this house this afternoon as well. You'll be happy to know that the water is now lower by about a foot. When I walked by on the bike path, I believe they had the boat "parked" on their little landing.

As I was walking along, people were starting to clean up as they could. There is driftwood everywhere. And I really do mean everywhere. I could also see larger problems starting to emerge - places where the water had retreated to the point where large pools of stagnant, still water remained. It hasn't gotten bad yet, but as I was walking along, I could smell the beginnings of the smell. You know the one - stinky, polluted water. Of which there is currently a lot and soon to be a great deal more.

Other areas are still several feet under water, and it was interesting to see how life had adapted and taken over. Turtles were sunning themselves on downed trees, beavers were in seventh heaven, and the birds' songs were loud and plentiful. Minnows swam in places they would normally never be. Life continued, it adapted. 

And so, I guess, will we.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck