Book Review: The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies

The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home RemediesI will be the first to admit that I've had my eye on this book for a while. I'd flipped through it before in Borders but neither had the money nor the inclination to actually purchase it.

However, after the cleanse I went through back in January I decided to purchase the book. The facilitator of the cleanse was actually a student of the author and referenced him many times during the three workshops.

The book itself is divided into three parts. The first details what Ayurveda is, the philosophy behind it, how to determine your dosha, characteristics of the doshas, and why people get sick. The second part is titled "Putting Ayurveda to Work" and goes into detail regarding how this ancient form of medicine can benefit you. The third part gives home remedies for a slew of maladies, from acne to yeast infections.

The book does an excellent job of explaining the basics of Ayurveda and how it can be applied to your every day life. While the book does not go into detail regarding the cleanse I did, it does give you several options to choose from in regards to the home remedies. It breaks down the remedies depending on which dosha you are, gives herbal supplements, behavior modifications, and even supportive yoga poses. The author tries very hard to - when possible - use herbs and spices that most people would have in their kitchens already.

Some of the information is common sense. For example, some of the advice for "Nosebleeds" is to squeeze your nose, use a cold compress and to humidify your surroundings. But then, there is also the advice to drink cool water. Cold constricts the blood vessels, which apparently in many cases helps stop the bleeding.

I like the fact that this book presents common solutions to problems that nine times out of ten do not need medical intervention. However, for that 10th time, the book also includes "When to See a Doctor" passages. I definitely foresee consulting with this book when I have issues.

I know there are naysayers out there that would read the suggestions in this book and call them hokey, new-aged, or even useless. Which is, of course, their opinion and they are welcome to it. However, I firmly believe that a great many maladies can be reversed by healthful diet and supportive behavioral changes. This book supports that. Although even I will admit some of the suggestions are a bit beyond my comfort zone. Thankfully, the book recognizes that this is a Western audience and gives advice that meets you where you are. If you aren't comfortable with a basti, there are other things you can do.

Thankfully.

On the whole, I would recommend this book. I believe there are others out there that go into greater depth regarding home remedies, but for a starter book this is a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck