Skinny Bitch, anyone?

I'm sure you've heard of the book Skinny Bitch by now. It was written by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin a few years ago. Freedman has gone on to write several spin off books, including a "cookbook", one for all your preggo ladies out there, and even one for the fellas.

Their writing style is...interesting. A bit in your face, and some people respond well to it (while others feel, well attacked I think). I had fun reading it, mainly because I thought it was funny when they dropped the f-bomb. But really, they write in every day speak.

The book itself is a platform for going vegan while ensconced in a diet book, and I think there have been a lot of people influenced by it. Mainly because the book speaks like a friend would speak to you, and presents a lot of information about factory farming that the majority of the population chooses not to think about.

This book in no way influenced me to go vegan - I already knew pretty much all of the information in it to begin with - but oddly enough I did take away one of their diet tips. Eating nothing but fruit for breakfast. Okay, so I never gave up the coffee like they suggested (blasphemy!), but whenever I feel the weight creeping back on, this is my go-to move. Eat one serving of fruit when you first notice that you are hungry in the morning, then another when you get the noshies again, and maybe another if you can't make it until lunch.

When I do this, I feel lighter, brighter, and cleaner. And I notice that I tend to do better foodwise for the rest of the day. I'm not much of a breakfast food person to begin with, so this approach to the "most important meal of the day" feels good for me. It tunes me in to my actual hunger cues, rather than just putting something in my mouth out of habit. Often I'm not hungry until hours after I get up; sometimes it's a growling stomach that gets me out of bed. By not feeding my stomach until it actually wants something, it helps me more accurately feed it what it truly needs.

If you are looking to cut meat out of your diet in order to lose weight, I would definitely recommend this book. It is particularly good if you are transitioning from an omnivore diet to one more plant-based, because it relies not only on fresh fruits and veggies, but "substitute food" - veggie burgers and other meat/dairy replacements - that can help ease the transition. Even if you aren't planning on going full-veg but just one or two meals a week while you are losing weight, this book can help you out.

Plus, they swear a lot. So, you know it's a fun read. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Abounds

Project 251: Boldly Going to Nowheresville, VT

UK Honeyswoon