On Religion.

Okay, so you're probably thinking oh crap. Don't worry, it's not going to be that kind of post, I promise!

So anyway, this afternoon as I was cooking dinner I had PBS on.  They happened to be rebroadcasting part of their documentary on Mormonism. I'd seen it once before, mainly because being the curious gal I am I simply wanted to know more. I mean, all I knew about the religion I learned from South Park. Now, I know better than to believe everything I hear from cartoon characters, but I also know South Park well enough to figure that there was at least a basic grain of truth to the inanity. So, I watched in order to learn about a culture I knew nothing about.

Anyway, fast forward to today where I had it tuned into the same documentary. As I was sitting there, eating a yummy vegan chickpea and spinach curry, I listened to the people they interviewed speaking about the surety of seeing their loved ones again in Heaven. I mean, they were positive, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and their faith in this knowledge was unshakable. They kept saying how comforting it was to have this knowledge.

How lucky they are to have that unshakable faith. I think I had that once, but it's long gone. I can't say without a doubt that I'll see my loved ones again in the next life. I don't necessarily believe there is one. But oh how lovely the idea of it is! Sometimes it makes me jealous that I can't just hang on to those kind of beliefs as others do.

I know, I know... this is round about the time when some people would say "open your heart to Jesus, and He'll show you the way!" If that's what you did, and it worked for you, then I am happy you found your Path. Jesus had my heart the first 18 years of my life. Guess what? It didn't take. I mean, I'm sure he's a great guy and he had some really good ideas, but he's just not my flavor. The problem is, whenever organized religions come into play, my seldom-used sense of logic and reason rears its ugly head and I can do no more than think "pretty poetry."

As much I believe in such woo-woo things as ghosts and reincarnation (ask my about my past life where I drowned some time), I fear that this is it. We've just got what we're given and that's the end of that. When you're gone, you're gone. Their is no God/dess/Infinite/Deities and we're all just kidding ourselves that our existence is anything more than a cosmic accident.

When faced with that kind of thinking, I can see why people would rather believe in Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Abounds

Project 251: Boldly Going to Nowheresville, VT

UK Honeyswoon