Well crap.

I followed a link posted by Vegan Dad last night about soy products, and how "good" they are. The link goes the Cornucopia Institute, who ran the study. This is their introductory blip about the report:

The Cornucopia Institute’s Organic Soy Report and accompanying Scorecard rates companies that market organic soy foods, such as soymilk, tofu and “veggie burgers,” based on ten criteria that are important to organic consumers—showcasing companies that are truly committed to the spirit and letter of the organic law while exposing those that do not rate highly or were unwilling to share their sourcing and production practices in our survey.


You can see how your favorite brands ranked here

I am heartened to know my favorite tofu in the world (Vermont Soy) rated an outstanding. Yay! However, my favorite soy milk (Silk) rated a poor. As did the majority of meat analogs and tofu brands on the market, including many I use when I'm feeling lazy or in need of junk food.

Well, crap.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Luckily Vermont Soy makes soy milk so I can use that instead of Silk. Unfortunately, it's expensive for the amount you get and I prefer the taste of Silk. I suppose I'll just have to get used to it. Or buy the chocolate variety (insert childish glee here). Besides, I'd be supporting my local farmers. That is always a good thing!

I should also go back and start making my own veggie burgers. It's way more economical and I can control what goes into them. You can just stick 'em in the freezer and have them ready, just like the boca burgers (which rates a poor, by the way).

I don't know if I can give my Lightlife fake pepperoni. I love pepperoni on pizza!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck