My One Weight Watchers Gripe

I lost about 40 pounds on Weight Watchers several years ago. Not only did it help me lose it the first time around, it's helped me keep it off when 10 pounds crept back on a year or so ago. I had been eating my unhappiness and stress, and I skyrocketed past my "drop-dead" weight and on to the "if you go past this weight you're pretty much screwed."

I am not fat anymore. I know that (most days, anyway). But the weight has been once again been creeping back on, for essentially the same reasons as before. The difference is, this time I determined to not get so high this time.

So as usual, I turned to Weight Watchers. But the program that helped me so well the first time is making things worse this time, if that's possible. You see, the program I did so well on was an earlier version of the Points program. Each food is assigned a number of points, and you are assigned a point limit. Don't go beyond that and you'll lose weight. You "earn" points by exercising, which you can use for little splurges. It taught me portion control and limits. 

However, because I am now so close to my goal weight, my number of Points is very low. 19 points, which is the equivalent of probably around 1,000 calories. Even with the extra points I earn exercising and using all of my 35 "bonus" points, that's not enough! I can make it for maybe three days before I start becoming ravenous and consuming anything that isn't tied down. 

I realize Weight Watchers is really geared to the people who need to lose a lot of weight, and not so much the few of us who only need to lose five pounds or so. But we are there in the program, and restricting us to less than the daily recommended caloric intake is not only setting us up for failure, it isn't healthy either. You simply cannot eat a healthy, filling meal for that little. Believe me, I've tried!

So, in a last ditch attempt to not eat myself out of house, home, and a size 8, I'm trying Weight Watcher's "Filling Foods" program. It doesn't count points, but rather restricts processed foods and carbs like bread and pasta. You get a little less freedom, but you don't have to worry about minute portion sizes. You eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full.

This is only day two, so I'll have to let you know how it goes. But I've got to say I'm already liking it better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Abounds

Project 251: Boldly Going to Nowheresville, VT

UK Honeyswoon