I Need to Think on This

So, ever since my massage this past Monday I have been seriously considering becoming a massage therapist. Or yoga instructor. But one can follow the other and I'm not yet advanced enough in my yoga to really teach anyone anything. That's a ways down the line yet.

However, massage doesn't really need anything but training and interest. There is a massage school within walking distance of my home. I've looked into it and tuition for a 650 hour course of work that prepares you for the certification test cost $7,800. That is not including various other expenses that will probably come to about $2,000 once all is said and done. That's a lot of money, but really still cheaper then getting my Masters, and I could apply for a VSAC grant.

The main problem would be I would have to quit my full-time job in order to take these classes. The next course only runs for one semester (September through June), but it is three full days a week (9:30 to 4:30). And this doesn't include externships etc etc that I would need to do.

If I don't get the grant, I would need the full-time job in order to pay the tuition installments. But I wouldn't be able to work full time because of the course schedule. Vicious catch-22.

However, I'm not quite ready to walk away from this just yet. I need to think on this some more and see what I can finagle and talk myself into. I'm not adverse to a part-time job; in fact they seem more readily available than full-time jobs these days.

I've been toying around with the idea of massage therapy for years, but never having had one it was just a random thought. After recieving one and realizing the benefits of, how could I not want to spread that kind of bliss and joy out into the world? I would be making a tangible difference in the lives of others who keep misplacing their sense of self with a sense of stressful urgency.

This is the first idea that has had any tangible feeling for me in a long time. I'm not finding it so easy to talk myself out of this one. Sure, a Master's degree is the next logical step for me in my educational and professional career. But you know what? I don't want one! But this... this is something I think I can get behind.

It would be a big, scary leap to do this, but it would be exciting at the same time. Yes, I definitely need to think on this a bit more and see how I can make this work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck