Scare of the Day

So I was in the kitchen puttering around, making lunch. I look out the window, and there is a guy in a hoodie entering stuff into a blackberry. Now, I don't have anything against guys in hoodies. But this guy was just standing there, out front of my apartment, for an extended period of time.  

Finally, he moves out of my vision. Not happy with that, I go outside to see if he's still here. Still is. With his hoodie still up, entering things into his blackberry, facing my apartment.  

WTF???  

"What the hell are you doing??" I ask him. He wasn't expecting that. He just kinda stared at me.  

"I know you from the internet," he said. Whoah. Wait, what???? I certainly didn't recognize him from anywhere. "What, are you stalking me?????"  

"No! I'm an Innumerator with the Census Bureau! It was all over the news!" He waves a badge vaguely in my direction. Like I'm going to go down there and take a look?  

"Where did you see me on the internet?" At which point you can see him internally say fuck, I shouldn't have mentioned that

"On Match.com and on MySpace like a year ago. Listen I have a girlfriend! I'm not stalking you, I'm just trying to make an extra $14 an hour! You can call the cops if you like! I'm going around to all the apartments here!" 

"If I ever see you around here again, I am calling the cops."  

I watched him for a bit and he is going around to other places. Still in a dark hoodie, with the hood up. Looking all suspicious. Badges can be faked, but I know the Census bureau was hiring to have people do this; they came to our office a month ago asking to tack a poster on our bulletin board. And yes, it was a different guy.  

What I want to know is, why am I the only one who noticed he's around? Why isn't anyone else coming out and saying what the hell are you doing just standing outside my apartment? In this day and age, you can't trust anyone. I mean, you can't just go wandering around neighborhoods looking all suspicious. Oh wait, I guess you can. Still, I think the Census Bureau needs to invest into looking for other options. And maybe institute a dress code or something.  

My MySpace page is long gone. Match is going to be gone in about 5 minutes. I readily admit to being freaked out about this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck