Call Me Grinch.

If you tune in to any kind of media outlet at all, from time to time you'll find one of those stories where a returning soldier surprises his kid at school/home/party etc. 

I am ALL FOR soldiers returning home and receiving a warm, celebratory welcome. These men and women are doing their best in very tough situations. They're putting their lives on the line in an unpopular war and deserve our thanks for their willingness to do just that.

So it just irks me all the more when I see one of these "heartwarming" surprises, knowing that a family's relief and joy at seeing a loved one alive and well is being exploited for public relations purposes.

I know I know. What I black heart I must have for not being moved by a little kid's joy at seeing their daddy or mommy. It's not that; I am moved. Children don't hold their emotions back. When they are elated, they let you know it. And it is priceless to see. But for me, watching these videos or reading these articles just makes me feel like I'm intruding on a personal situation. I have no business being there, and neither do the millions of others who see/read it.

I sincerely hope that soon, there will be an influx of returning soldiers, to the point where there are too many to possibly have a film crew at all of them. May there be an army of relieved spouses and elated children to welcome them all home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck