Seitan and Broccoli

Back when I was 30 pounds heavier and an omnivore, one of my favorite things to order in a Chinese restaurant was Beef and Broccoli. I haven't had it in years. But, as stated below, I had a hunk of seitan and a bag of frozen broccoli, and not much else. Oh my gawd this is so freaking good it's almost not fair to other foods. I'm posting the recipe below, altered for vegetarian tastes. If you're not a vegetarian, well this could make you one. But I included a link to the original recipe anyway. Because I'm nice like that.
Quick Seitan with Broccoli 
(based on a recipe from Epicurious)

1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pound seitan, cut into strips
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 10-oz bag of frozen broccoli florets, thawed
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/3 cup water

1. Toss together cornstarch, salt, pepper and seitan strips in a bowl until strips are coated.

2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok or large skillet over moderately high heat. Stir fry the seitan until just cooked through, about one to two minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

3. Add remaining tbsp of oil to wok/skillet. Add broccoli and garlic and stir fry over moderately high heat, until broccoli is tender, about 2 minutes.

4. Add soy sauce and water and bring to a boil. Return seitan to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened. About 2 minutes. Serve over rice or pick at it from the skillet while the rice is cooking until there's nothing left. 

Makes 4 servings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Later.

Community. Now, More Than Ever.

Beck