My Afternoon

I find myself drawn to Lake Champlain on Sunday evenings. I don’t know why that is. I can’t necessarily even say it was “evening” as it was only 4pm. But if you define “evening” by when the sun goes down, then it was evening.

I have a favorite park I like to go to. It’s a fairly decent-sized park along the waterfront. It’s been many things over the centuries, from a large working farm in the 1800s, to a resort in the 1920s to its current incarnation.

There is a bike path that runs through it and along the water, although if you want to “get off the beaten path,” there are trails in the wooded areas, and even old stairways cut into the rock from the resort days. There are a few outdoor chimneys left over as well, still standing, and occasionally still used.

No matter where I start though, I always end up in the same place, in the same clearing, on the same hill, looking out over the same view. It’s a clear view of the lake at one of its widest points, and on a good day you can see across to New York State.

While sitting on the grass on that small hill, I look out across the water and watch the birds fly, listen to the waves roll in, and watch the people walking and jogging along the bike path. Sometimes I meditate, just close my eyes and let my heart beat in time to the waves rolling in on the beach. Sometimes I think about things – what’s gone right, what’s gone wrong and sometimes what’s plain gone. Sometimes I think about the future, but the future’s always been a hazy place for me. I can’t see far into it, and to me planning just doesn’t work, because you never know where life is going to take you.

Sometimes sitting there calms me, like I can face the week ahead knowing that I had this little bit of time to ground myself in nature. Sometimes sitting there makes me sad, because I start thinking about how our society tends to eat people like me up, and how tired I sometimes get trying not to be chewed up and spit out. Sometimes I sit there and try to figure out what would make me truly happy. And sometimes just sitting there makes me truly happy.

Anyway. I’m home now, out of the late fall chill and into the warmth of home. I’m cooking dinner – one of my favorite recipes out of Vegan with A Vengeance. It’s a killer cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero (their blog is in my favorites – their website is theppk.com). This is “Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy.” It is divine, stick-to-your-ribs good. Perfect for a fall evening when you’ve spent far too much time ruminating.

My evening is going to be low-key, and involve knitting, tea, and bad Sunday night television line-ups. And I’m going to enjoy every last minute of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude Abounds

Project 251: Boldly Going to Nowheresville, VT

UK Honeyswoon